Wednesday, 17 December 2008

You Only Live Thrice

Term 1 down and as Adam informed me at the tutorial, 80 weeks left of the course. Not a lot when you think about it. Over the holidays we've to write our 3 minute scripts, which I hope I can get into a good state by the time we go back. Also, I'm hoping to get a mini-script or two finished so that when we have a spare half day, we have something to film. I had an idea that I pitched last night to Gavin and he remembered a story which was quite similar so between us, we've come up what I think will be a great little short. Here's hoping I don't end up just watching films over the holiday. This first term has been great and while I'd love to pick out something I hate, I've found it hard to do so. My expectations have all been met.

The next post I, erm...post, will consist of my top 10 films of 2008, you should try it, I've actually found it quite difficult.

So, I'm going to add a rating to films, it will hopefully make the reviews shorter and tell how good a film is. The out of ten way will be my way to go. I'm going back and doing it with past blogged films also.


FILM
Be Kind Rewind- Another film I missed in the cinema earlier in the year but thanks to DVD rental websites, it was missed at minimal cost. The film is not as good as Michel Gondry's previous Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind but it's a sweet and charming little film that for me is all about film as a device for bringing people together. The plot is a bit of a farce but the hilarious 'Sweded' films are the best parts of the film. Considering how annoyed I was at Mos Def for his god-awful character in Richard Donner's 16 Blocks, I was surprised to find that he isn't entirely talentless. The other leading cast member is Jack Black who, personally, I see more as a screen personality than an actual actor. He seems to play very similar characters with one expression all the time. Not a bad thing in a lot of films but it's one of the many reasons why I hated Peter Jackson's King Kong.

Still, a pretty decent film worth watching with some really great and funny scenes, also, for me at least, a technically memorable opening shot.
Be Kind Rewind - 7/10


The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford - Great, something I felt There Will Be Blood should have been. The pacing of Assassination is a bit off at times and at times it can be TOO talky, but I felt the performances and the cast helped keep it all interesting. Like in Gone Baby Gone, Casey Affleck is amazing and creepy as the assassin and Brad Pitt plays an interesting Jesse James. This was the second time I'd watched it and while I didn't enjoy it as much as the first time I saw it, I'm glad I've purchased it since I'll definitely watch it again. Just a massive shame about the DVD special features, a sole 31 minute behind the scenes, on a separate disc that is only slightly behind the scenes, it's more about the history of Jesse James. Worth checking out if you're willing to spend two and a half hours on a film you already know the ending too.
The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford - 8/10


Transporter 3 - Everyone knows how much I love these dumb Jason Statham action movies: The Transporter series and Crank but NOT War. Transporter 2 was a bit of a let down, it wasn't as good as the first one but it still had several "LOL" moments and plenty of stunts that are just about impossible to do. Transporter 3, barely has any of this and is up there with other major disappointments of the year. The film has a horrible, HORRIBLE love story and the worst part of the love story is that it leaves no space for action. There are only 3 action sequences in there and only one of them is that good, a fight scene were Statham kills the men around him with articles of his own clothing. The final action scene is an awful disappointment, Statham lands his car on a train and he has a bracelet on that will blow up if he gets too far away from his car. I could think of much more action scenes involving the bracelet that would be more interesting than the poor love story. How did they manage to mess it up? All they had to do was repackage the film, but in the wake of similar movies like Crank and Shoot 'Em Up, the filmmakers haven't upped their game at all.
Transporter 3 - 2/10


You Only Live Twice - When you think of the Bond series, what exactly do you think of? For me I think of Sean Connery, of rockets and missiles, foreign lands and Donald Pleasance as Blofeld. I didn't realise until after watching You Only Live Twice that this is probably the most iconic Bond film, ticking all of the boxes of what I think of with Bond. There's also that unforgettable Volcano lair as well, great stuff.

Sean Connery stood down from the role of Bond after this film (before returning for one last official time in Diamonds Are Forever) and watching it for the second time ever, he looks significantly older than he does in Thunderball. The rug is pulled out from underneath the audience at the beginning of the film since Bond is killed and I imagine that at the time, some were wondering what the rest of the film was going to be like. The film also has one of the most memorable Bond themes. You'll remember the opening bars from Robbie Williams hit Millennium. Something of note, which I had forgotten, is that the screenplay was written by Roald Dahl. Odd? A little, yes.

You Only Live Twice is an entertaining watch, and while by this point in the series the formula is evident, the film is on par with Goldfinger.
You Only Live Twice - 8/10
You Only Live Twice Theme

******************************************************************************
More Soon!


"Anyone who sees and paints a sky green and pastures blue should be sterilised"
Adolf Hitler

No comments: