Sunday, 30 November 2008

Please use 'Prequel' properly.

On several websites and also in many magazine articles, I often see the term 'prequel' used to describe the film/book/album/dance before. This is not true, let me explain:

The term prequel has only really been in popular use since around 1998/1999 when Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace was released, this is a prime example of a prequel since it is a sequel set BEFORE the original story (Episodes IV, V and VI) and since 'pre' is often used to define something as having gone before, prequel makes sense. If you believe Wikipedia, Lucas and Spielberg came up with the term prequel, Indiana Jones and The Temple Of Doom was the first prequel apparently.

So, since everyone does, or at least should, know the in's and out's of the Star Wars series, here's a technical example.

Episode IV: A New Hope came first in 1977, the film spawned a SEQUEL (though some argue it's one story) known as Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. Now if at the time, the press were reminding the public of A New Hope then they would say it is the PREDECESSOR to Empire rather than the PREQUEL. After Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi, Lucas decided to make the PREQUEL trilogy. It is called the PREQUEL trilogy because they are sequels that are set BEFORE the original story.

Simple enough? I hope I've now annoyed everyone else up to my level and that you'll actively look for this crime in the future.



“I treat my mum as a mum and she treats me as a daughter.”
Jade Goody

2 comments:

Andy Dougan said...

Actually the term 'prequel' was coined in 1979 for that deathless classic 'Butch and Sundance: The Early Days'. Andy

Paul said...

Another strike against wikipedia...